Sunday, April 16, 2017

The Sexualization of Early Childhood


In today’s society children’s identity information process are influenced by several different factors.  It’s very unfortunate that the blog assignment this week centers around the “sexualization of early childhood”.  It amazes me how much children are being exposed to sexualization.   I have a nine year old, and I am amazed at some the information I hear and see at her school.   There are more external factors present than there were back when I was a kid.  We have everything from radio, television, movies, toys, and technology that showcase sexualization.  It’s very sad that we live in a world where sex sells.  My daughter asked me last week why are all the models/actress skinny on television and in magazines.  I had to explain to her that females can be all shapes and sizes.  It’s unfortunate that mainstream society only see being very skinny as being beautiful.  I told her as she gets older she will understand more, but she has to embrace the body type that God gives her.  However, it is important to eat right and exercise to stay healthy and maintain a healthy weight.  I have noticed in all of the music videos every girl/boy hardly have on any clothes.  They are practically naked in these videos.  My husband and I were talking about how commercials have come a long way.  When we were growing up it was a big deal for ladies to be shown in their underwear. In this day and time that is the norm.

One of the boys in my daughter class came over to speak one day.  He advised me that another boy liked my daughter, and that he said she was sexy and cute.  I looked at him and said please tell me what sexy mean.  He shrugged him shoulders and started laughing. He thought I was trying to embarrass him but I really just wanted to know.  I explained to him that they are young an they will have plenty of time to think about that stuff.  I told them please stop focusing on videos, social medias and commercials, and stay focused on their work.



It’s our job as early childhood professionals to teach children to love and respect themselves.  It’s also equally important to remember who they are and to be true to themselves.  There are going to be negative influences no matter where you go.  However, it’s up to you to make the right decisions at all time.

 young children.

No comments:

Post a Comment