Sunday, September 18, 2016

Communicating

I find myself communicating differently with groups/cultures. I know with my students and parents I have to remain professional at all times.  I try to make sure I am using correct English when I speak to my students.  I speak that way because I want them to use correct English when they speak as well.  We have a flyer posted in the classroom that says leave your casual language at the door. When I am speaking to elderly people I always try to be courteous and polite.  I still say "yes sir and no sir" when I am speaking to older men. I know some people think that's old fashioned but I was raised that way.  When I talk to teenagers or my friends I can use slang and let my hair down a little.  I don't have to be so politically correct. When I communicate with different cultures I am very cautious of what I say.  I don't want to offend anyone so I try to make sure I don't say anything that would be perceived the wrong way.  The three strategies that I would use to communicate more effectively with different groups/cultures are to limit nonverbal cues,  ask questions about the culture or group that I may not understand, and try to be open and respectful to their opinions  regardless of how I feel.

1 comment:

  1. Candice,

    I want to thank you for all your blog through out the course. I have gained a lot about communication reading your blogs. I also want to thank you for responding to my blogs. Thank you for sharing about your experience with being close to a team and it being tough when the time came to move on. Learning about others having similar experiences is meaningful.

    ReplyDelete