Sunday, May 15, 2016

My Research Journey

The topic I would like to know more about is autism, and how it’s diagnosed in children ages 3-5.  I know that autism is a very broad topic.  I would like to learn ways to teach students with autism.  My professional reason for choosing this topic is I am thinking about teaching Special Education, and I want to learn about different disabilities that affect the learning process.  My personal reason for choosing this topic is I have a close friend whose daughter was diagnosed with autism.  Autism is a controversial topic in education that people need more clarity on.  Autism currently affects a lot of children, and I am just wondering why we are seeing a rapid increase all of a sudden.    My friend stated that her life has changed since this diagnosis, but becoming more educated about autism has helped her through.  She said it’s hard knowing that your child is different from other children. As educators, our focus should be on how to  make instruction time work with children with autism. This will help us work with the child and adjust to each unique way that they learn and deal with everyday life situations.

2 comments:

  1. Candice,
    With your interest in teaching Special Education, I think that learning more about Autism is a great idea. It seems that Autism is becoming more and more common in the children. The increase in the diagnosis of autism alone, is something to be researched all in itself.
    It takes a special person to serve as an educator, but it takes an even more special person to serve as an educator of children with Special Needs. I wish you much luck in your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am actually working as a paraprofessional in special education and I love it. I would like to learn more about the advantages and disadvantages of special needs children. You will enjoy the study in autism and cannot wait to know more about your research.

    ReplyDelete