Saturday, April 2, 2016

Getting to Know Your International Contacts—Part 2

I am still waiting on a response from my contacts.  I reached out to a friend of mine who is an educator in Korea.  She's not a person who checks her email on a regular basis.  I will attempt to reach her via Skype.  The Global Children's Initiative website was very informative.  I learned a lot of valuable information.  The first new insight I learned was there are three types of responses to stress.   They are positive, tolerable, and toxic.  The second insight I learned was the term resilience in reference to how children overcome hardships.  The third insight I learned was that in the U.S., neglect accounts for 78% of all child maltreatment cases, far more than physical abuse (17%), sexual abuse (9%), and psychological abuse (8%) combined.

References

1 comment:

  1. Candice,
    Thank you for sharing. That is very interesting about the three types of responses to stress. I remember learning about this in one of the classes. What I find interesting is that there is such a thing as positive stress. Often times we think of stress as always being negative. One of the most important parts of managing stress is being surrounded by those who can help with coping. Especially for young children.

    ReplyDelete