Saturday, January 30, 2016

My Connections to Play

Quotes

<b>Quotes</b> About Children Learning Through <b>Play</b> Theme: <b>play</b> where learning

<b>Play</b> <b>Quotes</b> on Pinterest | <b>Quotes About Play</b>, Connection <b>Quotes</b> and ...



My favorite childhood items to play with.



<b>Barbie</b>™ 2015 Holiday Doll - <b>African</b> <b>American</b> - Shop.Mattel.com
Barbie







Clipart image of three stick girls jumping <b>rope</b>. This <b>jump rope</b> stock ...
Jump Rope






Roller <b>skates</b> Icon | Real Vista Sports Iconset | Iconshock
Skating




jacks-jackswm
Jacks




The Role of Play in my Childhood

Play was very important in my childhood.  My parents and aunts encouraged play everyday.  When I was growing up I would stay outside until it was time for the street lights to come on.  I loved playing outside with my cousins.  We would ride our bikes, skate, and jump rope.  I loved board games, jacks and pick up sticks.  Play taught me how to work as a team, share, communicate, and it helped build self confidence.  I loved to play with my barbie dolls, and play school with my imaginary friends too.  I really feel like play made me the person I am today.



Play Today

Play today is a lot different from when I was growing up.  Children these days don't play outside like I used to.  Unfortunately play is diminishing because of technology.  There are so many technology toys and games that children have no interest in playing outside.  I think technology is actually hindering children more than it’s helping them.  Technology is making children lazy because they don’t know how to think for themselves, they don’t want to play outside or play anything that doesn’t revolve around technology.


Play Throughout Life


Play has changed so much throughout my life.  Play is still very important in child development.  Play helps children develop mentally, physically and socially. Play is essential for adults too. Play helps us come out of our comfort zone and participate in activities that we didn't like as a child.   I still like playing board games.  Board games keep me feeling young at heart.  I hope that as time go on we get back to realizing how important play is.  Play is going to make us a lot healthier and happier.













3 comments:

  1. Candice,
    I enjoyed reading your post and especially liked the second quote you posted regarding outdoor play. It really summarizes what we have discussed this week on the topic of play - the incredible benefits it provides! I have started "game time" with my students outside where I teach them a new game to play. They really enjoy it and I encourage them to play at home with their families outside to hopefully offset a bit of the time they spend using technology!
    Thanks - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candice - I, too, still like playing board games. I remember playing monopoly and candyland when I was younger - even though I'm positive we made up our own rules. I like your first quote and I almost used that one myself. As we get older, we choose to stop playing to prioritize other things in life. If only we could all prioritize play just the same as work, maybe more people would find a better balance in life!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candice,
    I enjoyed reading your post. It brought back memories. I remember playing outside with my neighborhood friends until the street light came on. Kids now days will never know the anxiety of running top speed to get home before those light came on! I think that technology is definitely a hindrance for kids today but parents also have to be concerned with the safety of their child more now. You can't be too careful nowadays. Great job.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete