Saturday, March 4, 2017

What I Have Learned


When I think about working with children and families from diverse background we have to be receptive to learning about different cultures, diversity, and be open and willing to help wherever needed.  If we are not given the opportunity to understand diversity, we will always have the same mindset. We have to make sure the curriculum displays diversity. We have to be willing to make the transition for families in early childhood education a little easier.


My goal I would like to set for the early childhood field is I want people to understand that equity and social justice are reachable goals when people are given the opportunity to understand diversity.  I was reading an article and the author asked “What does it mean to have a deep understanding of diversity, equity, and social justice?” I personally believe it means going beyond the surface to find out how diversity, equity, and social justice affect people around us. As you get to know a person on a deeper level, you get a better understanding of who they really are. If we don’t get to know a person beyond the surface, we will never learn about their culture or issues that affect them personally.  If we don’t take the time to get to know a person, we will continue to stereotype and prejudge.  This way of thinking will never get us to being open about issues that affect diversity, equity, and social justice.  We must change our mindset in order to see change.


I would like to thank my colleagues for providing helpful insights each week on the topics discussed.  This really helped me see some things from a different perspective.  I wish each of you much success on your future endeavors.  I am sure we will meet again.  Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment