Sunday, October 9, 2016

Team Buidling and Collaboration, Part 1

As I think of the adjourning phase of groups, I think of leaving my last employer.  I have been apart of several groups that had an adjourning phase. The adjourning phase of each group provided closure and encouragement to move on.  I left my previous employer in August of 2015.  As with most jobs, I provided a 2 week notice because that's the norm with most employers. This employer was hard to leave because of the friendships I had developed  over 2 years.  I had also developed relationships with a lot of the customer's that I came in contact with. On my last day, I was given a going away party.  My co-workers all brought food and one of the ladies that loved to cook made a cake.  I really appreciated the going away party because they didn't have to do that.  This showed me that they really cared about me and they want to see me do well.

I feel like adjourning with colleagues in the masters program will be hard to do. I haven't met any of my classmates personally, but I feel like we have a bond just from the experiences we shared. We all share some common goals which makes us understand each other more.  I am looking forward to the adjourning phase because this means I will be one step closer to achieving my goals. Adjourning is an essential stage of teamwork because it brings everyone together to reflect on the goal and vision. It's also an opportunity to provide encouragement and to reflect on failures and accomplishments.

2 comments:

  1. Your last day on your job sounds like my entire last week. My then boss attempted to change my mind but I knew it was time to leave. Adjourning allows closure indeed but more importantly a time to reflect. It allowed me to reflect on my teaching practice thus far, what my goals and visions are for the future and areas in which I can strengthen and build my teaching practice. I look forward to the adjourning stage of this master's program but I know it may be bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candice,

    Our journey up to this point has been a great one, filled with new insights and perspectives for our future. We have laughed, and even became emotional on some occasions along the way. Now, it is time for us to go our various ways to gain additional insights/perspectives in our specialization. Our future await us, so let’s continue to gain new knowledge through our own personal research even after we complete our master’s program. Remember to remain passionate and committed to the field.

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete