Saturday, August 20, 2016

Professional Hopes and Goals

As I think about working with children and families that come from diverse
backgrounds, I hope to bring awareness to different cultures.  All children and families need to understand and learn about different cultures.  This will help make all children well rounded, and they will appreciate different cultures more.

The goal that I would like to set for the early childhood field related to issues of diversity, equity, and social justice is to change our mindsets.  There are a lot of people in the field who do not understand how social identities and microaggressions play a major part in how we feel about people.  I want everyone to become more cognizant of what they say and do.  This will help eliminate some of the stereotypes and biases that we face today.

I would like to thank all of my colleagues for the encouragement and thoughtful posts each week.  This course has truly opened my eyes to the issues of diversity, equity, and social justice. I learned several new insights that make me look at issues differently. I would also like to thank Dr. D for really pushing me to think outside the box.  I have never heard of the term microaggression, but it truly makes me think before I speak.  I really enjoyed this class, and I learned a lot.  I wish everyone much success in their future courses.





7 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your posts over these eight weeks. Also I admire your goals for the field which are well needed and will promote social change. Continue to strive for greatness in education as it greatly affects our children and their families and this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is going to take a class like this one to possibly change someone's mindset. However, I think it is easier to mold someone's mindset such as children than trying to mold adults in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments. I truly look at educators as little lights in the world who shine amongst the darkness, nurturing little souls all over the world. I agree with your point about children and families learning about different cultures. I think we should all have a knowledge base of different cultures and room should be built for all of us to have various cultural experiences. I'd like to see all the children of the future effectively communicating with one another and working towards solving real world problems which will eventually help make the world a better place. I believe diversity and bias education is a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments. I truly look at educators as little lights in the world who shine amongst the darkness, nurturing little souls all over the world. I agree with your point about children and families learning about different cultures. I think we should all have a knowledge base of different cultures and room should be built for all of us to have various cultural experiences. I'd like to see all the children of the future effectively communicating with one another and working towards solving real world problems which will eventually help make the world a better place. I believe diversity and bias education is a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candice,

    I believe that teaching your children about various cultures will help eradicate misconceptions about others cultures before they are formed in the minds of our youth. Early childhood education is a great place to begin.

    Remember, keep up the good work in your classroom. Let's continue to represent our field.

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the goal you have set for diversity, if we as teachers can get people to see how social behaviours affect our life and the world around us, this world would be a more inviting place.

    I wish you nothing but the best on your future studies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Candice,
    I have enjoyed reading your blog post this past 8 weeks. You make a valid point in saying that everyone's mindset needs to changed. As ECE professionals we play a vital role in shaping the mind sets of the young children we come in contact with. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete