Saturday, November 7, 2015

Child Development and Public Health

I chose breastfeeding as my topic for this week.  Breastfeeding is meaningful to me because I breast fed both of my kids.  After taking a breastfeeding class with my first child I knew I wanted to at least try it.  My first child was breastfed for six months because we had some latching issues from birth, and I had to supplement with formula.  At first I was beating myself up because I had to supplement.  I had read all these comments about how you are letting your child down if you are not strictly breastfeeding.  I finally had to get myself together and realize that as long as my child was getting the nutrients she needed that was all that mattered.  I received encouragement from a breastfeeding peer counselor that really helped me through the process.  The encouragement I received just reinforced my reasoning for wanting to breastfeed when I had my second child.  My second child was breastfed for one year.  We didn't have to supplement formula with her because she latched on with no problem from birth.  She was a stubborn baby that wouldn't take a bottle so needless to say she was attached to me.  With my first child, I had to get comfortable with breastfeeding in public.  However with my second one, I wasn't nervous at all about breastfeeding in public.  I came across an article that talked about how different parts of the world view breastfeeding in public. In this article a mom talked about how in the US people frowned upon her when she breastfed her baby in public.  However once she moved to Europe, she  didn't experience any bad looks.  I feel like breastfeeding is the best for a baby.  Unfortunately not all moms are able to breastfeed, and they shouldn't be criticized if they are not able to.  I feel like as long the baby is healthy and getting all the nutrients he/she need society shouldn't be making a big deal out of it.

References:

http://wsimag.com/wellness/10973-breastfeeding-in-europe

2 comments:

  1. Amazing story! I think that breastfeeding is very meaningful and it is also considered bonding. I once heard from grandmother if it isn't your choice to breastfeed you should always try and allow the baby and yourself to experience it. I agree that mothers should not be criticized on the ways that they choose to feed their children just as long as the child is healthy it shouldn't matter. So really great post thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an amazing story.Breastfeeding is not something I am too familiar with considering that I have not done it yet, but it was great to read. I believe that breastfeeding is important and is definitely healthy for the baby. Like some mothers in Europe, I feel as though mothers should not be shamed or criticized in any way if they are unable to breastfeed. I agree with you, that as long as the baby is healthy, that should be the only thing that matters. Again, great post and amazing story!

    ReplyDelete